18 March 2008

simple joys in life

If you know me, you know that I delight in simple joys in life.

At least three times this week I have relished in such joys.

On Sunday I wore a new pair of socks. I know, I know not really a big deal. But really you have no idea! Mikey gave me perhaps close to 7 new pairs of socks for Christmas and this is either my second or third pair to have worn since receiving that gift. Why might you ask have I repeatedly washed and worn old pairs during these colder months and not delved into the new socks? Because I love the feeling of putting on that pair of socks for their very first time they have ever worn! I enjoy it so much in fact that I save that for days of celebration or bad days, so I can add enjoyment to the good days or have a pick me up on the bad. Sunday was a good day and thus merited new socks (and I needed a little motivation for studying for finals...it is okay if it does not make any sense to you. I do not expect for it to. Just take me as I am. I love wearing new socks).

Sunday...that leads me to another simple joy. I love how I spend my Sunday afternoons. They are generally full of relaxation and pleasurable things. This week Mikey and I spent part of Sunday afternoon studying outdoors. The joy part is in reference to being with Mikey and the being outdoors part of the sentence, not the studying part. It was gorgeous outside and perfectly enjoyable!

My hair is long.

and in this picture it is perhaps too long. Add another inch or so to it and you can imagine the length it was when I woke up this morning...


So another simple joy....getting my hair cut. This is not a joy that I partake in too often, either because I am too lazy to cut my own hair, do not have time to spend cutting my hair or cannot find any one in the current place I live that can cut my hair. Oh, and I love it when people play with my hair, as long as they do not just pull on it so it rips out of my head.

Today I spoiled myself. I found the sweetest hair stylist in Pasadena, her name is Elba. Went to her after 9 months of letting my hair grow and told her to do as she pleased, but perhaps I would like to keep my hair kind of long. I sat down and for 30 minutes she did what she does so well. She told me about her life, her husband, 3 year old daughter, her return to college after 16 years of cutting hair and 16 years of not being in school. She wants to be a pre-school teacher. She decided this after her daughter spent a year in pre-school. She saw the impact it made on her daughter, the creativity involved and all the children she would encounter and decided it might be something she would like to do and could even be good at! So here she is taking classes 2 days a week, cutting hair 3 and resting on the weekends. She grinned as she told me stories, I grinned in response to getting to hear the heart behind this precious lady who was giving me a gift that no one else in California has...and not many people in Texas have either, a haircut.

30 minutes and a small trash can full of hair later...I left Elba. I loved her so much I told her I would come again in May (considerably less than 9 months will pass between haircuts from now on). No we did not set an appointment, but oh man I want to go back, if anything just to spend some more time with her.


These are just three simple joys and pleasures I have experienced this week, off the top of my head. I know that if I were to think about it a multitude more have been experienced, some I have realized and relished in, others I have not taken the time to enjoy.

What are some of your simple joys in life?

another one of mine you ask....pancakes, especially when consumed in the evenings!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was simply pleased last night while watching American Idol when I pulled a hair out of my beard that was longer than my pointer finger... out of control.

Also, emails and gchats while at work, lunch breaks, rock climbing photographs, rainy days when I don't have to do anything, book stores, walking slowly, and beating everybody in handstand contests.

And Mikey.

Michael Mills said...

Ice cweam! Nappy time. Pretty girls. Ihop. Watching Scrubs with DeeOh (we have Tivo now and I need DeeOh). Nice cutie old people. Trying to remember how to spell "Eeeoowuop!" Lost. Emoticons. Max. Game night in Dallas. Cake (includes cupcakes). Beach days! Good teeth. PIZZA! Laughing with Jon about the fact that he'll never be a CEO. New music in headphones. Steve's good blogs. Sun. Etc...

steph-a-ronie said...

I'm also a biggggg fan of socks. A few years ago when you told me about saving up socks, I decided it was a pretty good idea! There are a pair in my drawer right now. :)

chapstick that smells like peppermint AND fruit.
spent stamps.
ice cream with walnuts and cranberries.
NPR in the mornings.
spicy Rotel.
felt-tipped pens.
sharing books with friends.

Unknown said...

Can I participate...because I miss you people? Even you steph-a-ronie, though I don't know you! Game night in Dallas! Wahoo! You three are at the top of my list and not far behind...I love being barefoot, napping on a beach, haircuts, new contacts, eating ice, sleeping in socks, fresh sheets, turning right on red, aaaaand chips and salsa..mmmm! Miss you guys a whole lot; I'm coming to Cali before ya'll move back...it's a must!

jess said...

IIiiiii love paid-time-off, puppy kisses before I get out of bed in the morning, the first drink of milk from a freshly opened gallon, clean tubs/showers, and library books. Plus you. I love you.

Joy said...

so many small joys in life! how do you pick?

hmmm... stepping on cruchy leaves, walking by the laundry room and smelling fresh laundry (especially on campus at A&M), Disney movies, driving with the windows down, napping in the park, smiling at kids, blue skies, sleeping in or sitting on the porch on rainy days, fun coffee mugs, baby animals, ice cream, fresh hot bold coffee with yummy flavored creamer, snuggling, good conversation, Texas peaches cut by my daddy... the list goes on and on and on...

Michael Mills said...

Ooo, one more simple joy:

YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!

Happy birthday pumpkin!