16 August 2008

a stranger in my own home

I'M MOVING!!!!

I do not think that August 15th and 16th will come soon enough. I will be closer...walking distance...to campus, to Mikey, to work (a
ll these things mean less driving :) )

Through not so wonderful circumstances and in quite a messy and annoying process, I have decided to move, and found a place to live. I hope this situation ends up being a good one!

The fact is I do feel like a stranger in my home right now. I cannot ever fully relax, I'm constantly worried about doing something "wrong", being in the way, and somewhat feeling downright unwelcome...I find comfort in my bedroom, but sometimes feel confined to just that space....a space that is share with my sweet friend Karli.so this has helped me realize the wonderful wonderful wonderful roommates I have had in the past.

A walk through roommates-past
first there was Annie: my freshman year South Carolina twin with whom people
often confused me...sometimes we would even swap our "standard" outfits (you know...the favorite t-shirt you wear all the time with your favorite jeans and flippies) just to embrace the fact that people would inevitably talk to me about Jason (her boyfriend) and people would talk to her about going to visit TX. She is one of my besties and another sister to me.

I love her dearly and wish that she and Jason and they little bundle of joy lived closer than Georgia.

Then I lived with Natalie and Colleen. This year at A&M was quite interesting to say the least. They kept me laughing, taught me patience, kept me up late talking a
bout all sorts of things and accepted me just as I am.
[unfortunately digital picture is unavailable...that wasn't introduced to my life until the end of my sophomore year, not soon enough to take a picture of the three of us]

My last two years at A&M I was delighted to live with a soul sista' and a bestie, Tori and Kelly. These years were full of joy, belly laughs, tears, frustrations, growth, and community. T has been a sweet and integral part of my life since 6th grade when we were pen pals across the great state of TX and Kelly began brightening my life in a big way our sophomore year and was my playmate all through college...she was always ready to go play, walk, jog or eat good food and watch movies.

T and Ty need to move closer..it'd be okay if they just followed me wherever I go. and if Kelly ever leaves the Station she needs to be near me as well.

In Salamanca, I had the pleasure of sharing a piso with Elaine Davis...a dear sweet friend who's friendship began months before we ever actually met in person. She has been highlighted here before. I relish in the memory of our time there together. In addition to my pre
vious post about her, she helped me learn Spanish, helped me feel at home in Spain and constantly takes the time to care about the community around her.


This concludes the trip of those I have had the pleasure of sharing life with in the intimate walls of a home....

4 comments:

Michael Mills said...

It's about time for this one...

:)

Good one!

Unknown said...

lo- remember when we used to be roommates??? i think it was about 20 years ago!
love, man

Anonymous said...

Three years ago...I imagined that your final roomie would be a guy named Mikey. I was right. SO excited Laura!!! Love, Jill :)

Matthew Ables said...

so... a lot has happened in your life recently. which means it's time for a new post! please.